This concert will be broadcast on YouTube Live and is free! Donations to Ensemble for These Times are encouraged.
E4TT’s 2020/21 commissions concert is inspired by the priestess in Greek mythology who was cursed to utter the truth but never believed.
Featuring FOUR World Premieres of commissions about Cassandra and her fate:
- “Wild Sage,” for piano trio by rising new music star and 2016 Academy of Arts and Letters Charles Ives Fellowship recipient Hannah Lash (b. 1981).
- “Cassandra, or Don’t Girls Love Horses?” a mondorama with projected visuals for soprano, cello, and piano, by E4TT Call for Scores composer Jessica Rudman (1982), a monodrama with projected visuals, setting a new text by librettist Kendra Preston Leonard (b. 1974).
- “The Cassandra Effect” for cello and piano by Bay Area composer and 2019 Ruth Crawford Seeger Award winner Valerie Liu (b. 1971).
- “Die gefluesterte Zukunft,” (The Whispered Future) a music-video monodrama for soprano and piano trio by E4TT co-founder David Garner (b. 1954), to a text by Friedrich Schiller (1759-1809), with video by Benoit LaCasse.
- PLUS “Moerae” (The Fates) for piano trio by Armenian-American composer Mary Kouyoumdjian (b. 1983).
The concert will be live-streamed on the C4NM’s YouTube channel.
Pre-concert programming: A virtual transcontinental talk with Lash, Rudman, Liu, Garner, and Leonard at 6:30 p.m
This concert is supported by funds from the San Francisco Arts Commission and sponsored, in part, by a grant from the Ross McKee Foundation